What is Conscious Shopping?
Conscious shopping means that you are fully aware of why you’re purchasing a product, how it will affect your child’s health and your home environment. It’s also about becoming aware of the hidden costs behind products, from how employees are treated to the impact on the environment.
Think about what happens when someone is going to have a baby.
An entire marketing machine kicks into gear to create a nursery fit for a prince or a princess with thousands of items for the first year alone. New furniture, carpeting, bedding, paint, clothing, diapers, the list is seemingly endless.
Shouldn’t the priority be to create a healthy, nurturing and safe home?
“There is little awareness of the toxic materials these products are potentially made out of and that exposures at this vulnerable time of life can compromise a child’s health for the rest of his or her life.“
SafBaby’s Healthy Building and Indoor Environmental Expert
It’s time to rethink all of this!
“In truth, our whole economic system needs to become natural, ecological and sacred. This will be possible when the consequences of all that we do are measured, taking a serious look at their possible effect on the health and well-being of all people, all forms of life, and generations to come.”
“The Time of the Black Jaguar”
Below are questions you can consider before purchasing a product. However, you will see that it can be quite overwhelming to uncover all this information as most companies aren’t transparent about all of this. That’s why we are committed to finding the safest, healthiest products from companies who have integrity and are passionate about doing things the right way in every aspect. Then, empowering you with the information.
The best part is that your knowledge and conscious purchasing will result in your baby entering an environment that you have created and know is healthy. A safe haven where your child and family can thrive in body, mind, spirit and soul. And, along with this mindfulness, you are part of building a better world for your child to live in and for that of future generations – a community of mothers, fathers and caretakers who are making the commitment to embrace the wellbeing of all life.
Rethinking Purchases: Need vs. Want
- Do I really need this?
- What problem does it solve?
- Will it add to my child’s wellbeing?
- Is there another way to solve the problem than with this product?
- Do I already have something that would work or can I borrow this?
- What is the lifecycle cost of the product (# of times used/cost)
- What care does the product require?
Rethinking What’s Safe: Toxic vs. Non-Toxic
- Is there anything about the product that would harm my child?
- What is it made out of? What are the ingredients?
- Where was the product made?
- Were pesticides or chemicals used at any stage of this product’s life cycle?
- Are there any third-party certifications?
Restoring Health: Now and For Future Generations
- What will happen to the product when you’re done with it?
- Can the product be reused, recycled, downcycled or upcycled?
- Are there toxic materials that will end up in the water or soil?
- Is the product packaged in nontoxic reusable or biodegradable materials?
- Are other resources needed to operate the product?
- How transparent is the company?
Does the manufacturer and distributor have a commitment to:
- Eliminating chemicals
- Waste reduction and recycling
- Energy reduction
- Equitable wages and health care benefits for employees
- We must all remember that there are fellow human beings behind every product we purchase. All our choices have consequences for them and on our home, Mother Earth.
When you become a mother and parent, your heart opens to the understanding of how all things are connected. You understand the responsibility as caretaker of your child, your child’s future, and the abundant gifts of Mother Earth. Every time you buy something, you can choose to honor what is right and just. It is up to you whether you choose thoughtless consumption or become fully conscious.
“Natural Baby, Healthy Child” by Dr. Murray Clarke, ND., D.Hom., L.Ac.
The Story of Stuff
The Story of Solutions
Nesting: How to Prepare A Healthy Space for Your Baby